I see pickup trucks with up to 200,000 miles selling for thousands of dollars? I am 69 and would never have considered a high mileage truck when I was younger. Are these high mileage trucks a "safe" purchase?

Asked by Jun 29, 2017 at 10:00 AM

I am amazed that high mileage pickup trucks are bringing thousands of dollars
in price?  I just cannot get comfortable with the miles/cost?  I am unable to
afford a new  one for certain, and too afraid of a high mileage used truck.

1,630

Depending on the truck you get, do not be scared of high miles. I have a buddy that had his Tacoma brand new from 2008 and he sold it at 270K miles for almost $9000 bucks..to CARMAX of all people! Go for ultra-reliable trucks like Toyota Tacomas, Ford F150 (8 Cyl only), Toyota Tundra, and possibly last on my list would be a Nissan Frontier. What you need to look for are 3 key things: Solid mechanical history, do a carfax, a well maintained truck is the key to your purchase. Look at the 'scheduled maintience' on the truck you are buying and look to see if the major services have been done like Timing Belt, Engine/Tranny flushes, replacing U joints/arms/etc depending on how many miles are on it. Look 1 step ahead at the next scheduled maintence and inspect whatever components is says are due for that next servicing. If that checks out, go to step 2. Talk to the owner... the less owners on the carfax, the better. Car owners are mostly tried-and-true how they care for a car. A guy that does regular oil changes for years will not typically stop maintenance on the truck... once it sells, another owner may be more lazy with caring for the truck so there is more risk..especially if the carfax has prolonged periods with no maintenance recorded. I'd avoid anyone that has had the truck for 6 months or less... those are usually truck flippers or maybe they bought it and learned of a major issue and want to unload. Lastly, GET A MECHANICAL INSPECTION DONE PROFESSIONALLY! No matter how good of a mechanic you are, a 2nd set of eyes always helps. If it gets a clean bill of health, note anything the owner had not mentioned in the inspection and use it as a bargaining chip. Little problems like a window motor that doesn't go down, or it needs new tires, can be used to negotiate slightly. GOOD LUCK : )

1,630

One final note, although its ideal to get a no-accident truck, do not be scared if the car has had any MINOR accidents. Even the smallest stuff like a dinged rear bumper are simply formalities that had to get reported to the police that may only have needed cosmetic touch ups. Use it to negotiate, not run away. If the truck shows major accidents or repairs (like major front end damage) those are too risky in my opinion. Lots of trucks on the market that struggle to sell because buyers like yourself are 'scared' of the miles. Use it to your advantage! Think smart, not hard : )