I need to know the date of two car trends: SUV and body-colored bumpers cover.

5

Asked by Jun 02, 2017 at 11:38 AM

I'm doin' a big research on fads, trends, events in the last 50 years about everything.
I need the precise year.
But I can't find anywhere two things on cars... when the body-colored bumper covers became a standard and the black bumpers became a rarity?
When the modern SUV mania started and with what car?
On some pages I read that 1997 was the year and the Mercedes-Benz M class was the first modern SUV but I ain't sure about it...
Thank you.

113,605

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/features/the-evolution-of- bumpers/article_ec0f0ff1-0da3-5799-8022-be1149728104.html

5

Oh, yes I love this article, I already bumped into it! ;-) But the problem is there isn't a specific year, all that it says that "By the mid-'70s and into the mid-'80s two significant trends evolved, both affecting bumper development. First was the widespread use of painted plastic being used on the exterior of the cars" And by then it wasn't such a fad that erased the black bumper covers. What I need is somethin' like "In [precise year] the body-colored bumper covers became a standard and the black bumper covers were banned". But thank you for your time, I really appreciate.