thumping noise by blower

1,875

Asked by Apr 18, 2017 at 04:21 PM

I have a 94 gmc 1500 pickup and when you turn the key or shut it off there's a thumping noise for about half a minute down by the heat blower motor , It sounds just like the beginning of the van halen song "why can't this be love" You can feel it on a small panel facing down by the blower , I got the glove box out and some screws but can't see how to access the blower to inspect it , yet , Any one deal with this before or have any ideas what it is ?

26,515

hummm... a half min.is a little long for it to be the blower motor..could be the ac equalizing..

1,875

thanks , it's independent of the blower motor speed and settings , it does it when the motor's shut off , it does have a/c (that doesn't work) so I think you're on the right track ,, it's not clear what has to come off to get to it , I can still drive it and tomorrows another day

1,875

You are correct , it is the digital display panel , and I leave it on one setting because it won't respond if it's cold and it's $275** at the dealer ,, thing is my son used the truck and I didn't remind him not to touch it , well he did . I found a u-tube vid. that shows how to access the the blower and hopefully that broken arm , I'll try the settings and see if it stops , got 20 other things to do and climbing under that dash for the day is not at the top of the list , thanks for the help .

1,875

found a u-tube video ,"chevy air inlet motor replacement" shows my exact problem and the fix , , those video I.D. codes never work for me and I've tried . The one trannyman posted could be the same one not sure I just use the video captions . One thing about being under the dashboard is my back will loosen up from being upside down , which I guess is a good thing . Thanks .