Are non-manufacturer fitted remote central locking systems safe/secure?

Asked by Apr 14, 2017 at 05:06 PM

I have a car that when new was not fitted with remote central locking (it does
have central locking though). I have been looking online recently and
discovered that there are kits which I can fit in my car, which will allow me to
unlock my car with their remote controls supplied in the kit.

Are kits such as these safe, or will it compromise the security of my car. Would
something like this be any less secure than if I bought a new car which came
fitted with remote central locking as standard?

74,565

I don't know about safe but I think these kits can screw things up and it can be hard to fix them as you have to cut into all sorts of wires. If your security system is messed up you may not be able to start the car.

69,545

The other problem with these aftermarket systems is if something goes wrong, later down the road, you may not be able to get parts to fix it or anyone who knows how to fix it. Personally I stay away from these! HTH. -Jim