Overheating

Asked by Feb 19, 2017 at 08:35 PM

So have 1993 Toyota Camry 6cyl, its overheating,
but not from radiator it's steaming out through the
resivor on the side.. radiator is fine no leaks and
isn't got at all but engine is on fire.. Will randomly
when driving shoot up on thermostat to the red line  
of HOT. And not entirely sure what I should do or
try to fix first...? It has two radiator caps as well?
I've never seen two radiator caps on a car before I
don't know if that means anything but the second
one is right next to engine..and is somewhat
broken. And the gasket that Might be been inside.
Is totally gone and was fried or something.. I know
right now it's missing in one of the cylinders...
please just asking for suggestions on what to look
at. Thank you

254,155

You sure the other cap isn't for something else like oil or power steering. Post a picture. I would definitely get that fixed first. Also don't run the car again, you don't want it to overheat it again. Multiple overheats will damage the head gaskets and engine if it gets too hot. So the check engine light is on and you got the codes scanned for cylinder #1 misfire? Change the spark plugs second. Check the coolant level, you might of lost enough that it overheats quicker.

145

Some cars have two caps- if one is broken, the system will boil over easily because it can't build pressure to raise the boiling point of the coolant. Otherwise, it sounds kind of like a head gasket could be gone, causing exhaust to force its way into the cooling system. Would explain the misfire too. Stop driving it. If it's not ruined by now, it will be soon if you keep driving it.