do the number of miles matter on a car? if im buying a used car how many miles should I take into consideration

Asked by Jan 06, 2017 at 10:48 PM

80,025

I would probably never buy a car with more than a 100,000 and would prefer something under 50k miles. If you only drive 2k a year a high mile car could last you 10 years or more so take the number of miles you drive annually into consideration. Most cars these days can easily go 200,000 miles IF taken car of properly.

Best Answer Mark helpful
20,015

Depends also which makes and models I Purchased a 1984 Honda Civic CRX 50/50 1.3l 4 cyl 5 speed with 199k miles & still running for $400.00 & during the first few months I put new C/V axles, wheel bearings, brakes, shocks, Fuel filter, full Tune up, Starter, Timing Belt, 1 battery, tires, I did all Labor and drove it for 7 years getting 50 to 80 miles per gallon on the highway. I drove many miles per year, 2-3 years into having it, the odometer stopped working at 262k miles so I do not know for sure the mileage it had when I sold it still running but I estimate around 350k so it all depends on your ability to do any work it needs and save money on the higher mileage cars or spend more money up front and go as low mileage as you can go. I did the CRX above mentioned as I wanted the most economical car I could find at the best price that I could drive without putting all those miles on my newer car and not have to put full coverage insurance on it and it never broke down on me, Glad I did it.

71,025

Mileage is definitely a factor when considering a used vehicle purchase. Between 10,000 and 15,000 miles per year of the vehicle's age is considered average. So a two year old vehicle with 40,000 miles on it has high miles. But a six year old vehicle with 40,000 miles on it has low miles. It's also very important for the vehicle to have been taken care of. Regular oil changes, repairs when needed, and allowing only reputable facilities to work on the vehicle are key points for a long trouble free life. When shopping for a used vehicle always do your homework. Get a vehicle history report such as Carfax. Look for frequent service records, long time ownership, and no accidents! Lack of service records, multiple recent repairs (especially for what appears to be the same or similar problem), multiple owners, and accidents are red flags and the vehicle should be avoided! I once bought a six year old Cadillac Eldorado with only 53,000 miles on it. It was absolutely the worst car I've ever owned in the 33 years of me owning vehicles. I bought it in 1984, in the days before Carfax. It had low miles and LOOKED well taken care of. During the two years (1984-1986) that I owned it I spent $1900 in repairs alone. On top of the monthly payment! It was an absolute disaster!! I finally traded it in, still owing $1200 on it , when I was told it needed $1600 MORE in repairs!! So yes, mileage is an important factor. But other aspects of the vehicle are just as important. So, again, while shopping do your homework!! Good luck with your search!! HTH. -Jim

865

Under 80,000 mles

111,105

Under 50,000 works for me, you will get more use before a major repair is needed...

52,715

Under 30,000 for me, then you will have some factory warranty left if the vehicle is new enough. Also, depending on your budget a CPO (certified pre-owned) car is worthy of consideration as they have been closely looked over and have excellent warranty.