♨Exhaust Manifold Super Hot♨rest of engine is cool? HELP..

5

Asked by Nov 26, 2016 at 11:05 PM

Within minutes of starting Her (2000 Land
Rover Discovery 2) the Exhaust manifold area
gets super Hot while rest of engine is cool. She
sounded like she was going to stall but then
corrected herself and idled correctly. Also it
looked like smoke coming from oxygen sensor
which is below exhaust manifold. I'm NO
mechanic so the simplest of things I haven't
thought about so any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated. Oh, it was seating for a
couple weeks with no battery,, could timing or
computer relearning play a part in this??

18,675

Yes could be relearning correct fuel mix, as it appeared to be running too rich. In the future if you have the means put the battery on a float charger if it's going to be left stored for any length of time. If the problem persists you might want to get the o2 sensors or cat checked out.

89,605

Have you checked your catalytic converter in may be clogged

5

Haven't checked anything yet(was waiting for suggestions). Are there any sensors that may play a part in this? Is the exhaust manifold supposed to get hot that quickly? Within 1min it's to hot to touch(i don't even know if that's normal. I will try to upload a photo just to verify that I'm actually even talking about the correct section of engine. Thanks for your time and efforts. I just want to get her to Title Max, lol..

5

Is this the Exhaust manifold?

18,675

Yes.

5

Thanks Believe It or Not Elementary learning is the most important! Just to let you know prior to this I had some wires touching on the starter solenoid which I learned about took them off put them back on make sure they weren't touching and that problem was fixed now I have this current problem the exhaust manifold area getting really hot quit just not sure what it is I have a feeling it's something simple though. It could be possible that the exhaust manifold it supposed to get hot I just don't know everything yet, lol.. Thanks from the bottom of my heart!