When do I apply for the following? (Car insurance, Road Tax, Parking permit etc.)

Asked by Nov 13, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Question type: General

It's the first time im buying a car next week but have no idea when im supposed to apply for things like road tax and car insurance. Do I apply before I buy the car or after?
I'm not sure as before I thought you can apply before, but they have questions asking for the cars reg number and model etc. Anyone can put down a car but then a few days before decide they found a better car or cheaper so that made me think do I have to do it after purchasing the vehicle. Could someone give me all the details please?

1 Answer


As for the car insurance you need to have that in place before you pick up the car. So once you've decided on the car you're buying get it insured. As for the other stuff, I don't know. Each state is different. If you're buying from a private person (not a dealer) you'll have to clear the title and register the car as soon as you buy it. If buying from a dealer they will take care of that. But the insurance you must have in place first. HTH. -Jim

1 people found this helpful.

Your Answer:


General Experts

  • #1
    Tom Demyan
  • #2
  • #3
View All

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use.