if u buy a car in Ohio an live in Pa can you use a Pa plate for the car your going to buy?

Asked by Nov 08, 2016 at 10:07 PM

Question type: General

5 Answers


Only if you have it registered and insured before you pick it up. If you're buying from a dealer in Ohio they can issue you a temporary Ohio license plate so you can drive the car home to Pennsylvania. But you must show your valid driver's license (PA) and proof of insurance. HTH. -Jim

1 people found this helpful.

No, you'd have to have the title transferred. Happened to my mother in seven fields.


I think you already have your answer from the replies above. You can either use an Ohio temporary (30 day) tag, OR you would need to get the title transferred and new plates issued from your home state. The temporary tags in Ohio cost $18.50, you can use a title or certificate of title to obtain them. The last few times I got temp tags I only needed my driver's license, they did not ask for proof of insurance.

3 people found this helpful.

I bought a car in Ohio how long can I ride on the temp.Tag if I live in pennsylvainna


Check with the Penn. DMV office. This information should be on their website.

Your Answer:


General Experts

  • #1
    Tom Demyan
  • #2
  • #3
View All

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use.