On your website, can the miles between my zip code and the location of the cars be more accurate? They aren't even close.

Asked by Nov 08, 2016 at 10:02 PM

I am finding that the number of miles to dealerships from my zip code is often very inaccurate. Maybe the miles are correct as the crow flies, but they are not close to driving miles. This affects searches (I search for cars within 50 miles of my zip code, but get cars that are much farther away) and traveling to the dealerships (which recently took me twice as long as I expected). For ex:
- Covington, VA, is not 38 miles from Roanoke, VA -- it's 62 miles, and it takes 1 hour and 20 minutes to get there;
- Walnut Cove, NC, is not 68 miles from Roanoke, VA, it's 90 miles and 1 3/4 hours away;
- Princeton, WV, is not 60 miles from Roanoke, VA, it's 92 miles
Seems like it ought to be easier to provide more accurate distances on your website.

35,045

The only way to do what you want would be for you to enter your address and no automobile search engine has that option. You can always use Google maps to determine the trip time if it is really that big of a deal to you.

That makes no sense to me. I'm not asking for something that is accurate within a tenth of a mile. The website asks for your zip code, which specifies my location, so it seems to me that they should be able to calculate the distance more accurately. Some of these distances aren't even close. It is time-consuming to look up every little town I've never heard of in a neighboring state. And it is a big deal when you have limited time to drive around looking at cars. How is it that other auto search websites don't have this issue? They are much more accurate.