76 MGB not getting gas to carb

Asked by Oct 18, 2016 at 03:41 PM

My 76 MGB sat for 4 weeks, it would not start and did not smell gas. The fuel
filter was dry so I fill the line to get gas in carb, it started right up. Why would
the gas pump to the carb, I pumped the gas pedal twice like usual but no gas
came. What could be wrong?

Let me add that I pumped the gas and never got gas to the carb.

74,575

Check the fuel filter to see if it is plugged up and make sure you have gas in the tank. Your electric fuel pump may have died which is my guess. Check the fuses too. http://www.victoriabritish.com/features/mg/mgfp1.htm

Best Answer Mark helpful

Full of regrets thanks for your response, I have noticed that I do not hear the clicking I use to when I turn the key on. But would it run without the electric fuel pump, I filled the carb and it ran just fine.

74,575

If you put gas in the carb and it runs for a few seconds then you know it is a fuel delivery problem. If you don't hear the fuel pump running then you know it is the fuse or the fuel pump.

Full of regrets, when I filled the carb it started right up and kept running, I took it for ride and never had a problem. How would keep running if there was something wrong with the fuel pump or the fuse? Thanks

74,575

Maybe the fuel pump contacts are getting sticky and driving the car with the vibration caused them to work. If your choke is not working properly then that could also be an issue. Do you have the SU carbs or the Stromberg?

74,575

It is possible that your fuel system just got gunked up from sitting. Use a good fuel system cleaner and fill up the tank with fresh fuel and see if that helps.

I have no idea which carbs I have, thanks for the info. I will have to take it in to get serviced.

Will do, thank you.

74,575

If you have the Stromberg carb you may want to convert the car to the SU's which will give you a big boost in power. http://www.britishclassicmotors.com/8745.html