Has anyone used detectvin.com? I had someone ask for it instead of my carfax report?

Asked by Oct 09, 2016 at 05:17 PM

I have a vehicle for sale, and people that are interested in the vehicle ask for
a background report. I purchase carfax, but insist that carfax is not worth the
price, and want me to use something they recommend, I find that dubious?
The recent recommendation was detectvin.com has anyone used this service
before?

20

I just had a guy ask me for that detectvin, not getting a good feeling about it, never heard of that site.

Same here. Google the website and a youtube video shows up explaining why they want you to go there. I sent a CarFax and my 'prospect' said he didn't trust them.

10

This is what I received today! Sorry I really don't trust that company. I'd just really appreciate it if you can get report and that you get it from detectvins.com because i'd like to repay you for it if we make a deal, and they're cheaper than carfax, and you know how it is, every dollar you save counts. I don't want to get it myself because if it's bad then i just wasted my money,but you can still use it however it turns out. I would like to see car tomorrow if you are free (and if everything is ok with car report) Looking forward to hearing from you, Will

20

Haha this is what I received "Thanks for sending me carfax. However I really don’t believe them because I’ve had bad experience (my brother and his girlfriend had accident with his car and that report didn’t show that). They are really expensive and they are showing only what seller want to see. I'd just really appreciate it if you can get report and that you get it from detectvins.com (one colleague has suggested me it he had good experience with it) because i'd like to repay you for it if we make a deal, and they're cheaper than carfax, and only company I trust. I don't want to get it myself because if it's bad then i just wasted my money,but you can still use it however it turns out. If everything is ok with car report I would like to arrange exact time of our meeting." Looks pretty much the same. I told him to come look at the car and if he liked what he saw I would order it, I have not received a response.

glooper, I got an email in response to my CraigsList ad with the exact same text. Thanks for posting this, it saved me a headache. Also, my security software flags that URL as spam, it won't even let me browse to it.

Below is what I got. Exactly the same as posted above. So it's a scam! "Thank you for providing me Carfax report. However I really don’t believe that company because my father had very bad experience with them – he had serious accident with his car but that report didn’t show it. They are expensive and they are showing only what sellers want to see. I would really appreciate it if you can provide me history report for your lexus from detectvehicle.com – just to be sure that everything is okay with your car. They're cheaper than previously mentioned company, and you know how it is “every dollar counts”. I don't want to get it myself because if it's bad then i just wasted my money, but you can still use it however it turns out. I would like to arrange exact time of our meeting if report show that everything is ok with car’s history. "