Engine swap

Asked by Oct 03, 2016 at 06:11 PM

I have a 1985 Chevy Monte Carlo what's a 305
small block and I want to do an engine swap not
going to race it just wanted to have a little bit more
motor don't want to go crazy willing to spend
around 5 grand maybe a little bit more anybody
have any good ideas the most power and bang for
my buck

16,415

The most common type of swap for your model is the 305 to 350, requires minimal modifications, and small block Chevys are cheap to build and buy.

That's what I thought now should I buy a crate engine or should I try to find one and rebuild it

16,415

Really depends on your budget, with a crate engine you know exactly what your getting, but a little pricier than a used motor or having to rebuild one yourself. You can hit up local car meets or craigslist for 350 motors, lots of gearheads sell off project motors that can save you some money, just gotta watch out for the boat anchors.