Title jumped title

Asked by Sep 24, 2016 at 10:36 AM

I bought a car with an unfinished title. The last
person that bought the car didn t sign his name as
the "name purchaser" but signed the "signature of
all purchasers" I have no way of contacting the
person who signature is on there. Can I still get it
transferred into my name? Missouri title

27,065

You'll probably have to contact your DMV directly. Typically to transfer a title the seller and buyer both have to sign it in the presence of a notary public or before the title clerk. It seems from your description the seller is not present to sign the title, nor is the signature notarized. (I'm assuming you also do not have a bill of sale?) Most states make you go through the "abandoned property" route to transfer a title in that situation, and it is a long drawn out process.

Here's some great information on title jumping: http://blog.suretysolutions.com/suretynews/title-jumping-when-the-sellers-name-is-not-on- the-title Every state will have a different process. Your state DMV will know all your options and be able to lead you through which option works best for you. You might need to get a bonded title, which is described in the link above. Good luck!