I would not buy a used car without having it inspected independently. Will people selling their cars on this site allow that?

Asked by Sep 22, 2016 at 12:47 PM

Having a used car inspected independently
before buying

16,175

You can always ask the potential seller. This site is like Craigslist or any other classifieds site - CarGurus' itself has no play in the actual transaction or sales, it just gives individuals a place to list their items for sale, or for buyers a place to search classifieds.

Are you by chance in the Phoenix area (or buying from an owner in the Phoenix area)? If so, I can help you.

210,055

if the seller does not agree to an independent inspection, walk and find another. They are hiding something.

20

As any investment you need to research. Cars are an investment and they only cost you money so the goal is to keep that cost of ownership low so an inspection is a great practice. I do that myself for my own protection against unpleasant situations that would arise later after the sale but few dealers do that. Most mechanics can do a good visible look over and that does tell allot but be sure first of all that they drive it (trust me most don't) and you choose a shop that will run a diagnostic with a professional code reader that covers all the major systems, airbags/engine/transmission/abs. Happy Hunting.

Thank you so much. Very helpful! Dianne