Tensioner replacement

Asked by Sep 20, 2016 at 12:05 AM

My 95 bmw318i is making a noise and is the
timing chaine , but  just wanto change the lower
tensioner does the solve the problem for the
noise?

Any body knows about this?

17,235

How do you know it is the timing chain? It is under the timing chain Cover if it is making the noise you would fix it by putting on new timing chain & possibly timing chain gears. Is the tensioner making the noises or is it broken? I f so put a new one on, If it needs a tensioner putting on one will not fix the timing chain issue if there is a timing chain issue.

26,055

you need to find out how much slop/slack/ is in the chain...your going to be in there....might as well replace it all. but the tensioner is not that hard by itself.. > http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/101-Projects-16- Tensioner-Upgrade/101-Projects-16-Tensioner-Upgrade.htm < The upgraded one-piece tensioner (part number BW-11-31-1- 405-081). This is a good upgrade, as the early units had a tendency to wear out. The inset photo shows the older-style chain tensioner for the E36 six-cylinder engines.

6,755

If the chain is worn, it's rattling, replacing tentioner won't help. Install the entire kit which is chain, idler, gerars and tentioner, specially if it hasn't been done in the last 100k miles

Thank you for the advice