Why does my AC start to work when it rains? When rain stops, no more cold air.

55

Asked by Aug 26, 2016 at 10:57 AM

So I refilled my AC system with Freon but that only worked for a bit. Then, i
noticed when it started to rain, that my AC started kicking cold air again. What
the f***? Any body ever deal with this?

990

some vehicles have temperature sensor (air ambient temp sensor).. it shows what temp is outside, if it shows cold, it will not allow A/C to kick on.. if it shows hot it will work...

55

its a basic model 2001 Honda Civic, so it doesnt have an outside temp sensor. Also, it doesnt work when its hot out, but when it cools down while it rains. Thanks for your input though.

31,395

It could be overcharged and the pressure is too high. Then when it is driven in the rain the condenser is cooled reducing the refrigerant pressure allowing it to operate. I would take it to an experienced certified A/C specialist and have it evaluated.

55

Thanks, Bob. A buddy of mine told me that but I didn't believe him because he also told me to make sure I had enough windshield washer fluid or it wont work.

31,395

Your Buddy probably thinks it needs Blinker Fluid also. LOL. Certainly my answer is no guarantee, but it is a place to start. It is always best to keep the "knuckelheads" away from your vehicles.