Help choosing new used car, please!

10

Asked by Aug 23, 2016 at 08:47 PM

Hi all,
I had a 99 Legacy a while back. Bought it
used, drove it a bunch and donated last
year when I bought a Matrix. Which was
totaled in an accident earlier this month. I
want to get another Subaru and I don't
want to go into debt. And I want a sunroof.
My budget is $7000-$8000. I finally found
an 06 Outback Forester with 109k, 3
owners (one corporate), 6 cyl. In my price
range that I'm supposed to go look at
tomorrow. I'm also in touch with a Subaru
mechanic who only deals in subarus. He's
trying to find me something, but of course
everything he finds is at the top of my price
range. He's telling me the above is a bad
idea because it's going to need repairs and
they're going to be more expensive
because of 6 cylinders. Is that true in
general about 6 cylinder? What would you
think about $8000 for a 2007 Forester 4
cylinder that's already had a bunch of
repairs done to it? It's over blue book but I
get that the repairs add value and the car
is still pretty young. Thoughts? Thanks in
advance..

20,495

I would probably go with the 2007 Subaru Forester, Four What repairs were done to the Forrester??? Look, they are both good cars, depends on their particular condition and what you want....the Outback is a little more plush, drives more like a car, while the Forrester is more truck like. You should drive both of them before deciding......and the H6 in the Outback will cost more in fuel... If the decision is between an automatic or manual, choose the automatic......the manual transmission in these cars is NOT that great! First, it's newer and it has a very good record here... http://www.carcomplaints.com/Subaru/Forester/2007/ http://www.carcomplaints.com/Subaru/Outback/2006/ By the way, only the Subaru Outback offered the H6 engine...not the Forrester....

20,495

The H6 engine has a timing chain instead of a timing belt, so, theoretically, you NEVER have to change it.... If it was a corporate car, it was probably driven by a more responsible executive and corporate cars are regularly serviced by professionals, they have the money to do this..... 106,000 on a 2006 is NOT BAD..... I wonder what agenda your mechanic has, be careful....

20,495

What's the mileage on the 2007 Forrester?? And, how is it equipped? Again, there are many trim levels on these cars..... Yeah, you live on the inside of the car...if the Outback H6 is fully loaded with leather seats, etc. You're going to like this car a LOT more.. let us know what you pick....if my answers are helpful, please indicate that...thanks .

10

I just realized I didn't put the mileage on the Forester - 200,000 miles with one mechanics having done all the work. He said he'll put in a new engine to make me feel better about the high mileage. For $8000. Thoughts? Answers and thoughts are much appreciated - thank you!

20,495

Ineedcars101- someone on another thread on this forum is looking at a 2007 Subaru Outback with 200,000 miles, interesting....I told him that if the car was purchased new in September 2006 and it was a 2007 model driven 18,000 miles for 11 years, it would be around 200,000 miles....it all depends on condition and the price... Hmm, I would NOT spend $8,000 on this car, new engine or not... And when someone says new engine, are they really talking "new" or do they mean exchange?? Here's the value of the car with 200,000 miles. And, consider that Subaru's are known for super high mileage, just Google the Subaru high mileage club.... here's the value, http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2007/Subaru/Forester-4-Cyl- AWD/Wagon-5D-X-AWD/Values

20,495

See this, http://www.truedelta.com/Subaru-Outback-vs-Subaru-Forester- reliability-comparison,253-251