2003 Jaguar x type 3.0 manual transmission

Asked by Aug 21, 2016 at 12:25 PM

The car will go into gear,but will not move
forward or backward. There is a clunking
noise while the car is in gear. The failure
happened while going down the road at
55mph. Before the failure there was a
whining rumbling sound that would let up on
intensity when you let up on the gas. What
are the possible causes?

1,525

Sounds like the transmission has failled. Now that year car should've given a check engine light with any transmission failure. Does the instrument cluster show a check engine light? If so, you'll need to get the car scanned for diagnostic trouble codes.

The check engine light is not on and there's no codes in the computer.

1,525

Wait-- your car is Manual? Yeah, you wouldn't get a check engine light. Yeah your tranny is gone, you'll need a new one

I seen on another site that they were talking about the top mount center bearing being the problem. And I saw on your site some talking about the transfer case having issues. Any chance that it's one of these things?

1,525

Not likely-- are you able to get the shifter into any gear?? If so, a bearing wouldn't be your issue.

Yes it will go into gear and it makes a clunking noise while it's in gear.

1,525

It's not a bearing-- it sounds like the trans went bad.

I was wrong about the engine size, it's a 2.5. I've been able to have a better look at it. I was able to get all 4 wheels off the ground and started it. The drive's frt turns on its own when you grab it, the passenger frt starts turning. But the rear doesn't turn at all.