Which car should we use for which lifestyle?

Asked by Aug 19, 2016 at 07:01 PM

I am looking for some advice on our 2 family cars. One is a 2009 Ford Focus with 68,000 miles, it is completely paid off! The other is a 2012 Subaru Outback with less than 40,000 miles but we have 4-5 years of payments left on it.
I run my own business so I work from home and commute to a local office- 4 minute drive away. I also run the errands like grocery shopping etc but everything is very close to us.
My husband works for a hospital 40 minutes away and goes to school 30 minutes away.
Who should use which car? And what is smartest financially? My husband WANTS to use the Outback because he likes it better. I want to use the Outback because of the easier to use trunk space for errand running plus my thought is the newer car should be used less? My husband drives a lot more miles than me so is it smarter for him to use the Focus that is paid off? Or should he be driving the newer car? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

264,315

Doesn't matter which one is better suited for which commute if you both want to drive the Outback. Trade the Focus in on an used Outback and you both can be happy.