Higher miles on 2016 model?

20

Asked by Aug 17, 2016 at 01:06 PM

Looking at used late-model cars, is it concerning to see 2016 models that
already have 20k-30k miles? I'm fine with that number in a 2013/2014, but I
wonder if that implies the car has worked too hard in it's short life or
something like that?

31,495

20k to 30k in the first year means all highway miles. I wouldn't be concerned and would try to obtain a service history. Service history is the key.

95

I agree with bob - I see reason for concern as long as there are service records and the car is reasonably well maintained.

78,105

I would not be afraid of buying one especially if the service records were easily attainable. You might get a really good deal, double depreciation has already hit.

56,775

Time is more of an enemy than mileage. On something that new I wouldn't be real concerned about the mileage you mentioned. As others have said, do your homework. Get a vehicle history report such as Carfax, vincheck, etc. If it was a rental car be careful. People like to "beat" rentals sometimes. Also, "fleet", "livery", and "taxi" vehicles should be avoided. HTH. -Jim

20

Thanks for the helpful responses. I was wondering if that meant highway, so I'm glad to have feelings confirmed. Js08016 - Are fleet vehicles problematic because people treat them more like rentals than leased/owned vehicles and take less care?

78,105

If fleet is anything like I had to take care of, they were very meticulous about the care they got, so a fleet car also would not cause me any concern.

56,775

Depends on who the fleet is. Some are treated well, while others are run into the ground. A few months ago my job had to replace the engine on a '13 Nissan delivery truck. It had just over 60,000 miles on it. The truck had been badly neglected! HTH. -Jim

20

Thanks again for input. Maybe truck/cargo vans use and expectations are different than sedans.

56,775

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim