2000 Audi a6 v8

Asked by Aug 12, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Going to buy for $400 has over 200k miles the
transmission is starting to hesitate a little on
shifts. Should I go for it or pass? The car is in good
cosmetic shape

52,665

Pass, them old Audis are damned expensive to fix.

102,205

Like Bob stated, they are money pits, but if you know that it is going to very expensive to fix then go ahead on with it, just remember it is 16 years old so to be 17, the older these get the more expensive it is to keep it running. Personally I'd pass on it too.

Thanks for the answers, I drove the car it shifts good just the reverse will hesitate or not engage if the car is not warned up,

102,205

That sounds like early stage solenoid failure, I would normally say look at the fluid color but I don't think you can cause the unit doesn't have a dipstick, but if you could get a sample and it is still bright red you my not have to replace the tranny, just the solenoid packs, a tranny shop would be able to tell you more after plugging in and running the check out program.