Buying my first car but want something decent.

Asked by Aug 04, 2016 at 02:44 PM

Im looking for something nice and reliable for
my first car. I have 3,500-4,000 to spend on or
put down on a vehicle. I dont think I really have
credit. I also have been getting a 1000 dollar
check deposited in my account every two
weeks for the past 3 months for my job where i
live but dont get paid on the books. What
should i do towards buying a vehicle. Please
someone?

25,875

The worst thing you could buy is that ultra-cheap junker that blows a rod or head gasket 2 weeks after you buy it. At your price point you should be able to find a decent late-model mid- or small-sized car with 60-70,000 miles on it or less. Stay away from the high-mileage cars, 120K+ miles. Stay away from the new and used car lots too, buy direct from a private seller. Just remember out of that 3,500-4,000 you have to spend you need to pay to register the car (depending where you live, can be 6-8% of vehicle cost) and your first insurance premium, which as a young driver will probably be in the 50-80/month range on the low end.

108,205

You should be able to find a nice Honda Civic for what you are looking to spend, like Ken says keep it under 120 miles if possible