1988 ford f-250 w/ 5.0 fuel injection

Asked by Jul 27, 2016 at 06:43 PM

I was considering putting a 460 in my truck.
I decided to rebuild and overhaul the existing
motor.
This is my first project.
My father and I have had the truck back and forth
between us and it's time to do some work.
Where do I start?

94,785

You really need to pull the engine out and disassemble it. Then all depends if you can stay stock or if the cylinders need just honed or if they need to be bored, if the crankshaft is good or if you want to replace with a stainless steel one, are you going to change the heads or keep it stock? There are a lot of if's until you know what you have to work with.

12,385

Research is always the start to any project. Don't touch a wrench until you have invested time into the basics. I'm sure there are far more informed guys than myself But here's how I do things (brief overview) currently. Ask yourself Do I have all necessary tools and a suitable work area to perform this work. 1. what is the planed use, This will dictate selection of all components. 2. What is the budget,This will dictate selection of all components. Once you know the answers to 1 and 2. now you can move forward MAP out (design) everything, where is the engines operational RPM target going to be select a 2000 RPM band range as this is all any internal combustion engine can make efficient power in, IF you don't understand this better go study,i.e 1000-2000 2000-4000 4000-6000 etc In 2016 every possible Ford 5.0 engine design has been done and run on a dynamometer for your benefit! follow a proved concept. After you have the design concept completed / copied.. locate a first class machine shop NOT easy to do make sure they mic or let you mic all work IN front of your eyes all before taking anything. Call around and read forums for parts suppliers a Reputable quality retailer of known name manufactures not Shady's discount gasket company... I know you understand! Ford offers a lot of performance and stock 5.0 parts they didn't spend millions for nothing, rather safe running any of their parts If strictly doing a stock rebuild you might just want to buy a factory crate engine short or long block and have fun bolting it together and in... unless you and dad are bonding and having an engine build party yeah. Just be through before jumping in go over the intended use again and follow a plan stick to it.. Today it's so simple to do(rebuild) with online forums, parts suppliers design engineering books. I'm about 4 clicks from Youtube and the engineers who designed the EEC system or a couple of PhD's in physics who love talking about gas flow physics or thermodynamics. THINKING is the start. Regards

Best Answer
94,785

Well said auto.