Coolant system

Asked by Jul 27, 2016 at 08:15 AM

Hello I have a good one for anybody that can help. I
have a 2000 f-150 4.6 and I've replaced heater
cores and radiators over and over. If I replace a
heater core the radiator will bust a hole and I
replace the radiator the heater core goes out. So I
bypasses the heater core and ended up getting a
hole below the thermostat housing actually part of
the head. I got that fixed and now after driving for
20 or 30 min. It runs hot with steam and all. I
noticed it doesn't seem to lose coolant. It will if my
wife is driving it but I keep an eye on the temp and
pull over but she keeps going until steam comes
out. So any ideas. I also thought maybe it was
electrosis but I'm not sure

35

it sound like the engine has a lot of miles on it it just could be clogged up and as far as bursting , the radiator cap is the protection the system has if it gets tio steaming ,maybe its a bad or wrong cap

16,850

Are you bleeding the cooling system after replacing the parts ? because if not building up to much pressure.

31,615

It is possible that it has a leaking head gasket that is leaking combustion gasses into the cooling system. This can over pressure the system causing similar failures. Have the coolant checked for combustion gases and do a pressure test of the cooling system.

I've not done any bleeding or pressure checks but I will try that. As you know it doesn't have a radiator cap just the coolant bottle cap. I thought about the fuel gases but usually the water will have that yellowish color but this doesn't. Also this has been going on for about nine years of dealing with this coolant system and it now has around 360,000 miles on it. So it has well done its job but the Motor runs so good I hate to loose it.

ALSO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS IT A BAD IDEA TO DO A FLUSH WITH THAT MANY MILES? 360.000 miles

31,615

I would not be afraid to do a coolant system flush (just my opinion). With 360,000 miles you have got great service out of that Ford!

58,535

Have you replaced the water pump?

16,850

Bleed air from system like this. Remove cap from over flow tank, add anti freeze to full mark, leave cap off and start vehicle and let idle, once vehicle starts to reach operating temperature thermostat will start to open, anti freeze level in tank will drop, add more anti freeze to full mark and put cap back on. All air will be removed unless there is another problem.