Reliability comparison between Outback and 4Runner for MN farm car, which will last longer?

Asked by Jul 23, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Hi, I'm shopping for a farm car/suv, but I'm mainly interested in reliability and
long life.  It will driven on gravel/mud/snow (harsh conditions) so any advise on
4WD vs AWD would also be helpful.  I'm used to city driving so any
suggestions/advise would be greatly appreciated.

94,755

Boy is this a loaded question, it is really going to depend on your preference of convenience, an AWD vehicle is basically in 4 wheel drive all the time, it just balances the power between all 4 wheels, drawbacks are very expensive to repair if something does go wrong. True 4X4 has a selectable transfercase 4HI, 4LO, 2HI, and Neutral most of todays have automatic hubs so that is no longer an issue with having to lock them in to get the full 4X4 to work. So if you only use to city driving this will be a learning experience, I would recommend going with a Toyota, getting an older rig that runs good and has selectable 4X4 and automatic hubs, until you get use to the way things are on a farm with regards to equipment you need, so if you mess up and smash into a few things you wont be too upset about wrecking it. After you get use to how things are you may discover that a Toyots just won't cut it, sometimes go old amercian iron is the way too go for hauling loads. This of course is just my opinion.

Thank you so much for answering! I do have a 1989 Jeep Wagoneer, with 160k (original owner), but the 4wd and transmission are on its way out. I just want to be prepared and research as much as possible before Betsy is retired. I haven't bought a car in so long that I find I need to re- educate what is out there. Needless to say I buy a car and keep till it dies! Thanks again for your advice.