Low oil pressure

Asked by Jul 21, 2016 at 09:08 AM

Hello there. I got serious problems with my Toyota.   
I rebuilt the engine.i changed the main, rod and
thrust bearings.i checked the clearance which are
also ok.in addition I replaced the oil pump.i have
cleaned the oil pick up screen and passages.so
when I started the engine the pressure was around
60psi when cold.but drops to almost 0psi after
30minutes.any ideas?

46,425

What are the main and rod bearing clearances?

Main clearances are 0.0015 Inc to 0.002inc.the same for the rod.

46,425

Those clearances sound about right. Have you attached an actual pressure gauge to the engine to measure the oil pressure?

Hi Bob.yes I attached a mechanical pressure gauge. When cold around 65psi.after 15min it dropped to 40psi and after 30min it went down to almost 0psi. The oil I am using is 20w50.i also changed all o-rings.

46,425

Hmmm, if you cleaned out any oil galleys did you forget to reinstall a plug? Is it possible that the oil pump is sucking air after the oil warms up due to missing gasket, loose pickup screen or other issue? 20w50 oil is a little on the heavy side isn't it? Which engine is it?

I didn't remove any plugs because they are all pressed.i reinstalled the old gasket and added a tiny layer of silicone..regarding the oil.actually I am living in the Philippines where it's constantly hot.and the car is used as a taxi and has a odo reading of 250 000 km. so I figured that would be the best choice.its the engine 2nz-fe which is also used in the Toyota yaris.