When buying a used car from a dealership, can you ask that they "certify" it as part of the deal?

Asked by Jul 13, 2016 at 10:00 AM

261,215

a certified car is just a car that comes with a nice dealership warranty and inspected. Usually newer cars. So if you find a vehicle you like, I'm positive you can add an extended warranty, dealerships love selling those, that 's where they make money.

22,845

Robin, when I purchased my certified 2010 Subaru Outback, financed through my credit union and they offered a warranty that was one half the cost and better than the dealership. See if your financial institution will do the same.

22,845

One more thing, purchasing a CPO car is REALLY worth it,. I have had No PROBLEM with my vehicle and that was over two years ago since I acquired it.

54,465

Only certain cars qualify as certified pre-owned (CPO). The dealership can not make just any car a CPO car. CPO car and truck warranty repairs are supported financially by the manufacturers of that particular vehicle. Our 2014 Lincoln MKZ is a CPO vehicle with an excellent warranty. We have had zero issues. The dealership manager showed me that it cost the dealership $990 to certify it through Lincoln.

22,845

That's correct, I was handed an exhaustive report, a 152 point check list, of the things refurbished on my car, and it came with brand new brakes, tires, belts, hoses, fluids, battery, etc. When my car was delivered, you could have eaten off the engine compartment.

22,845

And, YES, most new car dealerships add about $1,000 to the price of the vehicle. Is it worth it? MOST DEFINITELY,. how much is your peace of mind worth.? It's as good as starting out with an almost new car, yes, there are miles on the clock, but, all the bugs and break in period is done.