Mileage expectations on used cars. Where can I find them

Mary Smith

Asked by Jun 12, 2016 at 12:52 PM

Mary Smith

Shopping for 7 passenger used vehicle and would like to find reference for average milege accumulation before engine problems erupt. Is this possible?

You will have to find out what your interested and then look at the reviews and problems of that make and model. your not going to find a list of every make and model out there with expected life span. A used vehicle is one of the hardest to estimate just cause you don't know it's history fully, was it serviced properly, if a problem happened was it fixed quickly, has it been in a accident, etc. When you do find the rig you like, take it to a shop and have it checked over, it is money well spent. Today's engines if taken care of will easily run 200K without any problems. It is the other systems that can start failing before that, emission controls, transmissions, wiring, etc.

Mary- the average range for "normal" mileage on used cars varies from 10-15,000 miles per year. Time is more important than mileage, along with the overall condition of the car and the service history/records. Yes, most cars can easily go 200,000 miles, sometimes more. I've generally found that Asian cars age more gracefully than domestic vehicles. Good luck.