CVT vs V6

Asked by Jun 02, 2016 at 10:05 PM

looking for new car. My mechanic says no cars with CVT engines. Too much
trouble, too many repairs and very costly.

CVT is a Continuous Variable Transmission not an engine. You have to decide on the type of transmission you want not engine. Also, it could be your mechanic doesn't know the workings of the Continuous Variable Transmission.

thank you. Yes, I meant transmission. He does a lot of work and has worked on as many as other cars. He feels they offer more problems and frequently. I did contact 3 other techs and they've said the same thing. Of course, everyone has their own opinion depending on what they have good results, pricing, labor required, etc. I want a transmission that will cause the least amt of problems and when it does be affordable to fix, in the safest car I can afford, and have the car be far enough off the ground to not scrape going in our out our driveway. Forester looks like the lower lights- Fog maybe- are lower to ground. I didn't have a problem with my older caravan and most recent 2001 sequoia which had frame rot and came apart. Plus, I'm concerned about the Forester because I have seen posted they do indeed have gasket, oil, etc., problems and Subaru may not have fixed those areas yet.