Stuck in Oklahoma

Asked by May 22, 2016 at 11:05 AM

05 Chevy Silverado makes one click now
after a few days of sounding like the starter
was dragging really bad.
Pulled the starter off and brushes had lots of
meat on them still. Cleaned everything up
and put it back on and now I just get one
click and then nothing.

254,485

How is the condition of the battery? Voltage? Age? Terminals clean?

100,415

Just one loud click, tells me that the solenoid is shot, the contact lugs inside the solenoid have most likely burned down too far to make contact with the plunger ring. Replacement of the solenoid is required.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Can l repair the solenoid myself? the battery is only a year old terminals are clean. I did smell electrical that was burning inside the starter when I took it apart

100,415

Unfortunately no, it is a sealed unit, but if you did smell burnt electrical you may want to double check the starter windings and armature, one small break in the insulation and it won't last long when it starts receiving full power. Did you completely tear down the starter motor or just remove the back?

yes I tore the starter all the way down and didn't notice one small break in the windings would that be a problem another guy said that it might start if I jumped it is that true

100,415

Any break is bad news, your better off replacing the unit at this point in time.

starter and solenoid only start the vehicle correct doesn't keep the vehicle running after it started correct

100,415

Right.