So I have a 2001 VW Jetta 1.8t with 167000 miles. My car started to have problems starting last fall and was very intermittent. I would have problems starting at times but most of the time it would start and run no problem. If it didnt start right up we could crank it for a while and push the accelerator to the floor and it would start. The check engine light would come on while it was running and I would then shut the car off and turn it over agian and it would start right up and the CEL would turn off. This problem continued at random times but quit when it started getting cold. And then the problem started again when the weather warmed to the 80's this spring. I have checked and changed the spark plugs, but they looked good when i replaced them. I am going to replace the fuel filter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Asked by May 16, 2016 at 06:04 PM

10,655

Have it read for codes, even if the check engine light is NOT on the computer will have stored information and codes. Discount auto stores will read codes for no fee. write them down.