Need a car

10

Asked by May 16, 2016 at 03:47 AM

I'm a college student looking for a used car. I don't
have much to spend, I don't want to spend more
than $3k. I don't even know what is good for a
college student. I was looking into Chrysler
Sebring, but I know nothing about them. Any help?

246,185

No Chrysler IMO, Stick with a ford Taurus or Toyota camry or corolla. low insurance and maintenance costs.

12,605

I agree NO Fiat / Chrysler WORST of domestic? manufacturers.

22,685

This is a broad question, kinda like: "How do I find happiness in life?" books have been and will be written on this subject- here's some basics: 1) there are a billion cars in the world, so think about what you like- for example, I like sports cars, not pick ups 2) you have already said Chrysler Sebring, but that is a bad choice as far as reliability goes- 3) $3000 can buy you a real nice car if you are careful- 4) you can not afford to keep a Mercedes running, or a BMW- 5) these are cars to avoid like the plague: Audi, Saab, Rover, anything English or French- 6) 20th Century cars are simpler and more reliable than 21st Century Cars, so it is best to find something old with low mileage, one owner, that has been maintained and rebuilt 7) buy from a private owner, and have a mechanic check it out 8) have fun!

22,685

Having said all that, some cars are known for their design and reliability, the '90s Toyota Corollas, early '90s Chevy vans, Geo Metros and Prisms- if you can find one of these that has not been abused, you are golden-

Best Answer
10

Just chiming in to agree with everything jamnblues said! In your price range you will find a lot of 100,000+ mile Toyotas and Hondas, but if they have been maintained, they are a safe bet. Typically you'll want to stick with Camrys, Corollas, Accords, and Civics - avoid anything that has been over-customized! (You'll see this in Acura Integra/RSX, Honda Prelude/Del Sol/Civic.) Frequently these people drive their cars hard and spend money on improving appearance at the expense of regular maintenance :-) Another often-overlooked but good, safe option is almost any General Motors vehicle that uses the 3800-series (3.8L) V6 engine. You'll mostly see it in 90s and 2000s Buick LeSabre and Park Avenue sedans and some Oldsmobile and Pontiac models. This drivetrain is bulletproof, and if you look for a Buick you will find many that were owned by older people, with low miles for the year, and a history of proper maintenance. They are safe, powerful, relatively fuel efficient, and usually inexpensive to purchase and maintain since they are both common and American-made. Best of luck in your search!

10

I'm really liking convertibles right now and I looked into the geo metro convertible but they seem like a hard find!

22,685

The Metro rag top is a hard find- in good condition- but if it is intact, it will run forever changing only brake pads and timing belt- i mean FOREVER- but if reliability is not your top priority (because people will laugh at your Metro) I think you could find an old Fiat 124 Spider in good condition for 3 grand- it is worth the hunt because if you can get a nice one, and it has been sorted mechanically, it will be reliable and low cost, too- then you will be ultimately cool- in your Italian convertible-

10

Reliability, mpg, and convertible are all priorities haha, maybe convertible comes last out of the three. But it's definitely something I really want. The geo metro looked great (despite its "interesting" look) and I saw a guy who got 50mpg on his metro. But they seem impossible to find without having to work on them--and I'm no mechanic. I'll look into that Fiat, too. I appreciate everyone's input. And if anyone has any other ideas to this clueless girl who wants a good and affordable convertible, please let me know!