My teen daughter just bought her first car a 98 dodge neon from a private owner two weeks ago. All the coolant fell out of the the engine from somewhere near the overflow. I had it towed back to the garage and owner who we bought it from to repair. I am a single mom with minimal car knowledge looking for anything I can find out to about how to get this taken care of. Is this typical for this car or did she get taken?

Asked by May 03, 2016 at 05:32 AM

1998 dodge neon 150000 miles owner stated he went over it and replaced
transmission with used one that had about 40000 miles on it.  Paid $1000 for
it two weeks ago.

210,445

Sounds like you got a handle on it, make the seller make the repair, probably a hose. For $1k for a 19 year old Dodge neon, you have cheap transportation, so be prepared to replace things like coolant and hoses to keep it on the road. it already has a newer trans. Cars are not cheap to maintain.

19,705

This was the wrong choice- sorry- an old Neon should just be relegated to the scrap heap- amazing that some guy was able to get $1000 out of garbage- buying good cars on a budget is an art form- and through years of practice, I have done pretty well- but this is also years of poverty and knowledge about automobiles- I guess it is a survival skill- just give your daughter a hug and tell her that with the next $1000 ( i would bump it up to $1500 just to fish in better waters) you will be more careful and pay $60 to a mechanic to have it checked out-

31,515

1998 Neon was not a good choice. Neons had many issues with overheating and failed head gaskets. My mother owner one and after the issue was resolved with the head gasket it was somewhat reliable.