My teen daughter just bought her first car a 98 dodge neon from a private owner two weeks ago. All the coolant fell out of the the engine from somewhere near the overflow. I had it towed back to the garage and owner who we bought it from to repair. I am a single mom with minimal car knowledge looking for anything I can find out to about how to get this taken care of. Is this typical for this car or did she get taken?

Kathy Sherritt

Asked by May 03, 2016 at 05:32 AM

1998 dodge neon 150000 miles owner stated he went over it and replaced
transmission with used one that had about 40000 miles on it.  Paid $1000 for
it two weeks ago.

Sounds like you got a handle on it, make the seller make the repair, probably a hose. For $1k for a 19 year old Dodge neon, you have cheap transportation, so be prepared to replace things like coolant and hoses to keep it on the road. it already has a newer trans. Cars are not cheap to maintain.

This was the wrong choice- sorry- an old Neon should just be relegated to the scrap heap- amazing that some guy was able to get $1000 out of garbage- buying good cars on a budget is an art form- and through years of practice, I have done pretty well- but this is also years of poverty and knowledge about automobiles- I guess it is a survival skill- just give your daughter a hug and tell her that with the next $1000 ( i would bump it up to $1500 just to fish in better waters) you will be more careful and pay $60 to a mechanic to have it checked out-

Bob Beaman

1998 Neon was not a good choice. Neons had many issues with overheating and failed head gaskets. My mother owner one and after the issue was resolved with the head gasket it was somewhat reliable.