2011 Toyota camry

Asked by Apr 16, 2016 at 05:31 PM

Shouldn't a battery last longer than 5 years?

210,865

4-6 is avg. some last 8 years, some only 1-2 years. You got your money's worth if it was 5 years.

78,535

Right, cheap Walmart batteries your lucky they even make it through the warranty period. So don't buy a Walmart battery.

31,625

Walmart batteries are just as good as other batteries. I have used them for years and have had no problems. The good thing about Walmart batteries is that Walmarts are everywhere. This makes it easy to get a battery warrantied if the need arises. % years is probably about the average life of a lead acid battery.

78,535

Glad someone has had good luck with them, out my way they are terrible, you might get a year two if your lucky.

31,625

So far so good for me and Walmart batteries. I guess be warned as your mileage may vary.

5

Batteries vary in price based on guaranteed battery life which can be 1 year (cheapest), 3 year and 5 year. But 5 years is usually the max you can buy. If you happen to buy a 3 yr battery, you might get lucky and have it actually last 4 or 5 yrs. Remember to hold onto your receipt in case it dies before the purchased guarantee period ends. If that happens, return it to the place purchased for a replacement. Also, as part of routine maintenance, make sure the battery cables are on tight, and keep corosion cleaned away with baking soda and water. These two things will extend/protect your battery's life. Also, be sure to return the bad battery after you install a new one as you can usually get a refund for proper core disposal of about $25. Finally, (especially if you are female) and an unfamiliar mechanic tells you that you need a new battery, check to make sure the cables are connected tightly and that there is no corrosion on the connections before just taking their word. Make them show you the actual test of your old battery to be sure it doesn't just need to be put on a charger for a while. I'm female, blonde, and had just purchased a new 3 yr battery one month before taking my truck to a Firestone while I was visiting in Jacksonville, FL, for routine maintenance (tire rotation and alignment). I ask them to also look my truck over for road readiness as I was about to take a long trip. They loosened one of the cable connections to my NEW battery and told me I needed a new battery and also new shocks. (I knew the battery was fine and connected properly when I took my truck in, because I had just installed it myself new the prior month! Also, I had just replaced the shocks less than 6 months prior.) Needless to say, I walked out without letting them perform any work on my vehicle! Hope this helps answer your question.