96 K 1500 shuts off when throttle advanced in gear. Truck starts and idles fine and throttle can be increased as long as truck is in park. OBD 2 reader shows no faults. I changed the throttle position sensor and the vehicle speed sensor in the transfer case with no change in problem. Any ideas as to what could be causing motor to shut off ?

Asked by Apr 10, 2016 at 08:12 PM

It sounds like it is either starving for fuel, or there may be a vacuum leak. When it is idling and the engine is cool, take some carb cleaner and spray along the intake, and anywhere there is vacuum. The RPMs will pick up, or the engine will die out if there is a vacuum leak. Next would be to check the fuel pressure. Hook a fuel pressure gauge up to the Schrader valve on the intake to check pressure. It should be 56 to 63 lbs. then let it sit to do a bleed down test. The pressure should not drop more than 5 lbs. in 3 minutes.