88 ford f-150 xlt 4x4

Asked by Apr 05, 2016 at 09:04 AM

When I put my truck in drive and let off the break it
doesn't move, when I hit the gas it takes 2000 rpms
to get it to move I don't even know where to start.

54,485

First thing I would do is check the transmission fluid (if it is an automatic). Check the fluid level and look to see that fluid is nice and red. Discolored (redish brown or brown) or burned fluid is evidence of transmission problems.

104,095

Right, fluid level is very important so the pump has enough fluid to make the pressures required to make the tranny function. If the fluid is at specs, then the next step is to service the tranny, it is possible that the filter screen is plugged, while the pan is off look for shiny metal particulates in the oil some aluminum flakes are normal it is the brass colored ones that are the trouble makers, if you see those then just put the pan back on and decide if you want to rebuild or replace the tranny, if it looks good then complete the service, adjust the bands, add 1 quart of TransX and fill to specs. The TransX will help clean the valve body and help with shifting. HTH