1971 ford f100 360

Asked by Mar 26, 2016 at 11:00 AM

This truck starts and runs great . . . For
about 1-2 miles and dies. Then no fuel,
there is fuel in the clear glass filter a few
inches before the carb. When you push the
throttle no gas squirts in the carb. But u
put a little gas down the carb it fires right
up. . . Any ideas I've replaced and tried a
lot of things. I'm in a cool climate,
Colorado. So don't see vapor lock an
issue. The metal fuel line is kinda close to
the manifold . . I'm gonna re route that
next. Any help would be thankful

95,225

Sounds like what my old Ford did, replaced the fuel pump and it still did the same thing, found the vent for the fuel tank was full of mud wasp mud nest, cleaned it out no more trouble. So you might check the vent hose back by the fuel tank before you replace the fuel pump.

Best Answer

Even if I leave the gas cap off and still does it could that still be the issue?

95,225

If it still does it with the fuel cap off then I would replace the fuel pump.

I replaced that and the electric one last weekend. . . . Lake I said I'm stumped right now

95,225

Where did you mount the electric one?

95,225

I'm thinking maybe crud in the fuel tank plugging up the pickup screen when the vacuum starts and drops off when the vacuum slowly bleeds off from the pump.

The tank was said to be scoped and clean but not sure I trust the seller anymore. And the electric pump is left side of cab about 8 inches from the tank. I thought about pulling the tank also . Should I even have the electric one on it? Should I pull the tank next?

95,225

At that age I would, and then pull the pickup tube out and see what might be stuck in the screen, then look inside the tank, if it is badly corroded and flaking off inside you can either find a good used one, have it steamed cleaned and coated, or try to find a new one aftermarket LMC trucks would be a good place to start. You mounted the electric one in a good spot, the only question I have about it is if it is a regulated pump or not.

If I pull that out will I be able to tell if crud is in there, or see in the tank?

95,225

You will need a small flashlight yes you can see in there.