Help

80

Asked by Mar 24, 2016 at 08:00 PM

Why is my car still overheating? The
temperature gauge goes up but the engine
and radiator cap isn't hot ? Wat could be
wrong ? 2000 Monte Carlo

37,955

Sounds like you have air pockets in the cooling system that need to be bled out.

80

Tats what I thought it runs real good for couple days. Then I go take off in it and about after a mile the temperature gauge goes up and the engine or the radiator isn't hot! But my over flow jug is full. So I let it cool down and the over flow jug goes back to normal. So I bleed it again and it runs fine again

37,955

Bleed it out, let the thermostat open a few times keeping the radiator filled as you do it. Just put the cap back on when the engine is running when your done. When you bleed the cooling system, have the heater set on hot so it will circulate threw the heater core.

80

Ok could u tell me if I'm bleeding it properly? I start the car then take the radiator cap off and open the bleeder screw. Then when the coolant starts to flow out of the radiator I put the cap back on. Then I watch for a stream to come out of the bleeder screw then I close it! Am I bleeding it correctly?????

37,955

No. You let the coolant overflow out the radiator until the thermostat opens up. Then the level will drop in the radiator, so then you add coolant until the level comes up just below the fill hole like 1/2 to 1" below because you are going to want to let it cycle threw, (thermostat opening, closing) a few time. When the coolant is over flowing out the radiator, that is air pushing out.

37,955

I have a big funnel that I put on the radiator that fits just right. Then the coolant fills up into the funnel and doesn't spill out all over.

80

Ok thanks could you please please send me step by step from the beginning to the end of how to bleed this system out please!

80

Do I do all these with the car running the heat on high? When do I open the bleeder screw?

37,955

Engine is cooled down so to be able to take the radiator cap off. Make sure you can see coolant in the radiator, fill to about an inch below the radiator tank. Set the climate control to hot, and set to the defrost mode. This way it is easier to check that heat is coming out from the heater core meaning it is circulating threw the heater core. Let the engine run so it gets to operating temperature. During this time coolant may push out the top of the radiator and will until the thermostat opens up. Thats why I have a funnel on the radiator so it does not spill out as much. You do not have to do this, you can just let the coolant run out onto the ground. Make sure you have a extra gallon of coolant to work with. Once the thermostat opens the top radiator hose will be hot. The coolant level in the radiator will drop at this time. You add coolant at this point. The thermostat will close because of the coolness of the coolant added so let it open up a few times to get all the air out. Do not be revving the engine with the radiator cap off or you will get a shower! The coolant level in the radiator will stabilize after a while. Then put the radiator cap on before turning the engine off. Make sure the coolant level in the reservoir is filled to the hot level. Done.

80

Thank you very much for your time. Before I let u go. So I don't open the bleeder screw at all? Correct

37,955

You know, I have never had to mess with the bleeder screw. It would work on the principal of letting out steam. A air pocket would have to be there. Plus a lot slower in bleeding the system. Some cars do not have a radiator cap to work with so thus the bleeder screw.

80

K thx

80

I just put gallon of coolant in the radiator can I just use water to bleed the coolant system out or should I get another gallon of coolant

37,955

Coolant needs to be 50/50 mix. putting in just water after a straight coolant, I would only go like no more than 3/4 gal. I mix from straight coolant 50/50 so then I have 2 gallons.

80

Ok I bleed the car(2000 Monte Carlo) out like you told me . Got perfect heat the radiator cap or motor got hot. The temperature gauge didn't get hot! It ran for two hours and I drove it like a mile then I let it run for another 30 mins . Nothing didn't get hot and the temperature gauge stayed good! When I shut the car off there was just a little gurgling in the over flow jug tat lasted a couple seconds then stopped! Do I still need to bleed again or is something else wrong?? Help plz

80

Sorry the first sentence was suppose to say the motor or radiator cap didn't get hot!!!

37,955

So you are good to go! And no you do not have to bleed again.. After driving it around all the coolant in the system and the engine is warmed up to operating temp. and is under pressure. It is normal for it to expand into the overflow tank when you shut it off. As it cools it will contract, and suck what it needs out of the overflow tank. So check the coolant level once it sits over night, all cooled down, in the overflow tank, make sure it is filled to the cold line on the tank.