Which diff. ratio?

Asked by Mar 09, 2016 at 02:24 PM

I am looking at the 2016 Dodge 1500 with an eco-diesel engine. The diff ratio choices are 3.55 and 3.92. I do some towing, a 16ft boat (1000)lbs. and a flat deck trailer with various loads. Will the 3.55 have enough power for towing or should I go o the 3.92?  Bob

94,925

Odd they don't offer the 3.73, that would be ideal for what you want. The boat won't be a problem with the 3.55, with the 3.55 my only concern is overloading the trailer and exceed the towing capacity of the truck, it is only a half ton, but if you stay within the rating in the book you should not have any problems. Remember if it is an automatic transmission do not use the overdrive when towing, that is the quickest way to burn out a tranny there ever was. So sit down and figure out just how much towing you actually do, if over 50% then go with the 3.92 as it will work the best for long hauls and lower speeds, if not then go with the 3.55 good for short hauls and somewhat faster speeds. Remember the faster you drive the shorter the lifespan of your trailers bearing become. HTH