Should I replace my battery?

Asked by Mar 05, 2016 at 08:23 AM

I had a battery installed in my truck 6 months ago and
never drove it. The battery died. I recharged the battery
with a charger. Didn't drive the truck for 4 days. It's dead
again. Should I replace the battery?

72,235

After you recharged the battery did the vehicle start? I could understand the battery being low after 6 months, but after a charge and low again after 4 days, there may be a draw on the battery.

19,170

Also have alternator tested to make sure it is charging correctly.

Yes, the engine started, but I didn't drive it.

Thank you for responding by the way! :) Based on your answer I called AAA and am going to have them check the battery and the alternator :). Thanks!

49,325

Did the battery get cold enough to freeze. If it did and was very much discharged it is likely ruined. The alternator should be putting about 13.8 to 14.6 volts to the battery when the engine is running. This voltage can be measured at the battery (engine running). If the voltage measured is low and alternator, or battery cable problem is likely. If the charging voltage is in spec I would replace the battery and possible maintain the battery charge with a battery maintaining charger if the vehicle is driven infrequently.

No, the truck (a Toyota Tacoma with over 200,000 miles) has been sitting in a temperature controlled garage. I will definitely look into a maintaining charger!