Should I replace my battery?

Meggan Lester

Asked by Mar 05, 2016 at 08:23 AM

I had a battery installed in my truck 6 months ago and
never drove it. The battery died. I recharged the battery
with a charger. Didn't drive the truck for 4 days. It's dead
again. Should I replace the battery?

After you recharged the battery did the vehicle start? I could understand the battery being low after 6 months, but after a charge and low again after 4 days, there may be a draw on the battery.

Also have alternator tested to make sure it is charging correctly.

Meggan Lester

Yes, the engine started, but I didn't drive it.

Meggan Lester

Thank you for responding by the way! :) Based on your answer I called AAA and am going to have them check the battery and the alternator :). Thanks!

Bob Beaman

Did the battery get cold enough to freeze. If it did and was very much discharged it is likely ruined. The alternator should be putting about 13.8 to 14.6 volts to the battery when the engine is running. This voltage can be measured at the battery (engine running). If the voltage measured is low and alternator, or battery cable problem is likely. If the charging voltage is in spec I would replace the battery and possible maintain the battery charge with a battery maintaining charger if the vehicle is driven infrequently.

Meggan Lester

No, the truck (a Toyota Tacoma with over 200,000 miles) has been sitting in a temperature controlled garage. I will definitely look into a maintaining charger!