2001 Camry 2.2l

Asked by Feb 29, 2016 at 03:27 PM

I have a 2001 Toyota Camry. I ran it out of gas
and tried to start it a few times empty. I put gas
in it started put sputtered out. I have changed
the spark plugs, fuel injectors, fuel filter, and
fuel pump. It will start up but shut back down.
Any ideaa would be great

5,205

Wow. Bet you won't run out of gas again. I hope you put in at least 4-5 gallons of gas before trying to run it. New pumps and system components need to be filled before fuel will flow unrestricted. If you only put in a gallon or so, just try adding more fuel first. If that doesn't work, prove to yourself that your system is delivering fuel to the engine. You could disconnect the fuel line at the engine side and crank to see if you have flow being careful to collect the gas in a container and not just let it flow out on the engine or ground. Once that is confirmed, move on to engine/ignition system parts but focus on what you already replaced or disturbed while trying to troubleshoot it the first time. Just running out of gas should not have damaged any critical ignition parts.

I put about 5 gallons in. Also when I was changing the injectors we had a bad seal to the fuel rale and gas was spraying out so I believe the fuel to the engine should be OK. Unless you think it could still be bad. I'm going to try and put more gas in and see what happens. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks

5,205

If it still does not start, you will need to begin checking engine sensors/components to determine what is causing the lack of fuel. Maybe your controller is sensing fuel when none is being delivered to the cylinders. Good luck.