Dead battery?

30

Asked by Feb 21, 2016 at 03:31 AM

Okay so I made a post earlier about my car dieing
but now it won't even start. I put the key in the
ignition lights come on but it just slowly cranks.
Before that when I could get it running when I turn
all the accessories on it would start stalling and
dieing. But now it won't even start. Put new
alternator in and charged battery a few days ago.
Could it be dead that quick?

50,815

It is possible that there is a dead short in the battery, should have the battery checked for cranking amperage. If you can jump the vehicle and get it started, should check at the battery with a volt meter to make sure the alternator is working. You would be looking for 14.5 DCV.

105,945

Have you checked your negative battery cable from battery to frame and to motor. As stated earlier your model car is known for these connections loosing good contact and causing the issues you are having. My wife's looked perfect but her eclipse would not crank properly and would at times if it did start would randomly miss fire and or die. After testing the voltage from the positive side of the battery to metal on the motor I found that the voltage was fluctuating widely from 14.5 volts to 5 volts. Relplaced battery and alternator but the problem remained. Replaced the negative battery cable and all is running as it should again.

30

The negative terminal goes down into the motor I can't see any problems with it or feel any with my haND but I put a good battery in it and it fired right up. Turned it off started it up again so I disconnecTed the negative terminal and it died. Now I'm thinking my new starter might be no good or it might have a wire short somewhere.