Car won't accelerate

Asked by Feb 14, 2016 at 10:43 PM

My car is a 2002 bmw 325i. anyway the
first problem my car would cut out while
driving,
would floor it and it'd drive fine cut out
quiet a bit, this went on for about 2-3
months. Now as I started my car it didn't
sound right it was sounding like it was
make putt putt sound out the exhaust and
it would barly take off when I went to leave
and won't go up hills. Rpms will go all the
way up but my car won't go like it's
suppose to very slow
acceleration.Changed the spark plugs
didn't help at all and ideas?

5,425

This can be a tricky problem on this car - I would start by cleaning the mass air flow sensor but generally if the rpms are revving and its not moving it could be a failed transmission

I don't believe it's a transmission issue it's a loss of power from what feels like a fuel delivery problem for lack of spark. It seems like it's trying to shift but doesn't have the power it will rev up in when it's not in gear but as soon and you put in drive or reverse the sputtering gets much worse almost dies

5,425

Ok - is the check engine light on? if so you need to scan the DTC's and get a starting point. Also take a look at the mass air flow sensor and ensure it is good and clean. They do fail regularly

It wouldn't scan my car. Yes the engine light is on and mass air flow is clean

Could it be fuel filter even if it will rev up while in neutral

5,425

It could still starve for fuel under load - but more importantly you stated the check engine light is on - most local parts stores will scan it for free if you can limp it there - you need to retrieve the DTC's and find out what the car is telling you - everything else is just a guess. That is your starting point

Okay so I unhooked the maf sensor and it was 10x better it goes without a problem stutters a little I think only because it can't control the air and changes gears perfect

5,425

I think you found the problem - I hope I helped

Yea you did but I got one more question. Would it still idle rough even with that unplugged and will a new one make it idle normal before I go buy this sensor

5,425

without the ECU regulating the air intake it can not give a reading that would smooth out the engine - I think your safe with a new MAF sensor

Nice! thank you

5,425

No WOrries - Feel free to hit the "Mark Helpful" button for me if I helped you with this - I'm check back later if you need more assistance

Best Answer