96 GMC Sierra 2500 Has lost of lot of power but still runs, makes clunking noise out of exhaust when in high rpms. What could this be? Frustrating problem

Asked by Feb 06, 2016 at 02:00 PM

96 GMC Sierra 2500 Has lost of lot of
power but still runs, makes clunking noise
out of exhaust when in high rpms. What
could this be?

330

How long since a tune-up? Are there any applicable trouble codes? The basics for problems at higher rpms, check for blockage of some kind, fuel--air--exhaust. You may need to check cylinder compression, see if that is ok. Some makes and models, with fully warmed engine, you can remove oil filler cap, if it is puffing out smoke like a freight train, that is blow-by, your rings aren't in the best shape. That doesn't mean it won't start and run, it just may not run like a new vehicle.

10

Needs a tune up sounds like

69,845

Clunking noise in the exhaust... get it to an exhaust shop, have them put it up on the rack and find the problem.