1996 chevy S10. cranks but won't start (fixed)

Asked by Jan 18, 2016 at 08:39 PM

I thought I would post this experience so that it would come up in the "similar questions" section. My S10 wouldn't start one day right out of the blue. Keep in mind it has 218,000 miles. running good before, just wouldn't start one damp freezing rainy morning. I could hear the fuel pump running, and I checked for spark. I was expecting  one of these to be absent but they were both there. The spark was yellow and seemed weak. I checked fuel pressure and confirmed that it was within specs. Suspecting cap and rotor issues (common on this engine) I removed the cap and rotor. they were somewhat burned/ corroded looking. I replaced them with AC Delco new parts. truck started firs try. I will complete the tuneup with wires and plugs now that I can get it in the shop, winter here! Just thought I would post this to give the info in case someone else had the same issue.

Thanks for the helpful tip!! On conventional ignition systems a tune up is needed every 30 months or 30,000 miles. We sometimes forget in this age of distributorless ignition systems that shorter tune up intervals are required when we have a distributor type of ignition system. Back in the (really) old days of points and condenser type of ignition systems a tune up was required every 12 months or 12,000 miles. -Jim

Sometimes these damnable computers make me miss those days.