Which to choose??

10

Asked by Jan 15, 2016 at 09:47 AM

I'm a student looking for my first car. I've been looking on craiglist on come
across several. However, as my knowledge about cars is at a minimum I
would like to ask, which of the following you would recommend:
Chrysler PT Cruiser 2009, 60,000 miles, $3,450
Chrysler PT Cruiser 2007, 160,000 miles, $2,900
Chervolet Aveo 2007, 167,000 miles, $3,150
Honda Accord 2003, 80,000 miles, $3,500 (4wd)
Ford Taurus 2002, Milage unknown, $1,800 (6cyl)

It is going to be used in southern Texas and mainly just for regular
commuting. I hope you can help :)

77,925

In my opinion the only car you have listed that doesn't have a horrible track record is the Honda, and is it not a 4WD, it is an AWD, and that would be the only drawback I would see on that one, the others have had too many engine problems, like blown head gaskets, transmissions, etc. please find a shop that does a used car check, it is money well spent, and if they do find something wrong and you still want the car you,have something to bargain with. HTH

14,075

None. Create a new list, even the 2003 Honda Accord is bad. See this link below. http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2003/

14,075

Did you create this list yourself or did someone like a family member suggest these vehicles or is it just based on price or available cars for sale. There's not one Chrysler car I would ever recommend, unless you're talking about one from the 1960s, LOL. Early Ford Taurus cars are notoriously known for transmission failures. On the other hand, a Honda Accord from the late 90s, like 1997 or 1998 would be great. Honda started having problems around 2000 through 2008, transmission issues. There's no Toyota on this list, look at them.

14,075

If the Chevrolet Aveo had fewer miles, I'd say consider it. But, at this point, you may run into problems.

10

I created the list myself. I'm on a budget, and not keen to go over $ 3,500. I've mostly been checking on craiglist, and these are some of the cars I found available here in my area

10

I can see the Honda got a lot of transmission problems, however, I've been reading that this is mostly related to the V6 model(?). Would that seem to be right?

34,465

That Honda would be my choice but the price is quite cheap which makes me wonder why.

10

https://laredo.craigslist.org/cto/5401644121.html Here is a link to the Honda. I will try to have a mechanic check the car before buying it

34,465

Unfortunately the ad gives no information. Your idea to have a mechanic check it is a good. I still think the price is too low, in my area that car would be a lot more money if it really was low mileage and clean.

34,465

Ask for a Carfax but apparently the seller does not speak english.

10

I've been in contact with seller and the English is very rusty. But, I'll ask him if he could provide me the VIN

34,465

Personally I would keep looking but good luck.

10

Thank you very much :)

14,075

You wrote, I can see the Honda got a lot of transmission problems, however, I've been reading that this is mostly related to the V6 model(?). Would that seem to be right? Negative. The problem with the early 2000s Hondas is this, they outsourced the transmissions to an outside company instead of doing in-house like they did in the mid 90s. Think Three Stooges. After that debacle, they started doing it again themselves and its been better recently. By the way, stick with the Four and the automatic. It's a better car and you won't be disappointed. Keep looking, the right car will come along.

Best Answer
14,075

Further, I had a friend with a 2001 Honda Accord, Four, really nice car except for the transmission failure. When the transmission began to fail, it could not go any faster than 25 mph, if that. And, later, it would not even start from a dead stop. I knew what was starting to happen and she was quoted more than $3,000 to fix the car. She junked it. Now she has a 2010 with no problems at all. Unfortunately, cars are like fine wine with different vintages. One year could be great and after a redesign, they turn into problems.

10

Thanks a lot. I will keep that in mind. I already have two other cars in the scope. A Nissan Altima 2005, 130,000 miles, $2,850, a Frod Fusion 2007, 188,000 miles, $3,750, and a Mazda mx3, 190,000 miles, $3,400. Some of these may be better? I've been looking at Toyota as well, but can't find any fitting my budget frame.

10

Three other cars obviously :)

14,075

I like the Ford Fusion, trouble is, that's a lot of miles. Most cars can make it to 200,000 , but, after that, you'd better have money for repairs. See below, http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Fusion/2007/

14,075

Hey, how about this, a 1996 to 2000 Lexus ES300. These were great cars. Start searching for one. Some can be found for under $4,000. They're not gas savers, and I'll bet you never thought about one, but, they are really nice cars with great mechanical engineering.

14,075

Here's an example for you. https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5387849300.html

10

Thank you! I really appreciate the guidance. Maybe one will come up in my area.

14,075

Aoliver, yes, good luck, I hope some of my answers have been helpful to you. If so, please mark one of my previous answers or this one as "best answer". Now, here is some further information for you. Lexus cars are the upscale division of Toyota and are world class cars. Years ago, I knew an engineer who told me for the money, they were the best engineered cars in the world! The late 90s were a golden age for Lexus, as they were establishing their reputation and it worked. The 3.0 V6 engine in their cars is a super smooth powerplant. It's pretty fast and the attention to detail inside the quiet cabin is unmatched by a lot of cars even today. If you can find one of these that's been regularly serviced regardless of mileage, it will be great car. I can't think of a reason why these cars won't go 300,000 miles. Will there be repairs, sure, it happens to every car, no exception, but, the Lexus ES300 is an ultra nice Toyota and since its based on the Camry platform, it won't cost as much as say a Lexus 450. That car will definitely cost more to service, its a different car. Don't go there, if you are worried about keeping maintenance costs down. Happy hunting.

14,075

Aoliver, here's more information for you to consider, http://fortune.com/2012/11/19/are-subarus-the-best-cars-money- can-buy/ http://blog.lacarguy.com/why-subaru-vehicles-hold-value-more-than- any-other-in-the-us/

14,075

Sorry, those last two links ran together, separate them from the beginning, with http

10

Hmm, still can't seem to make it work. Just says "page not found".

10

Problem fixed :) Found it manually

14,075

Hope those articles help. Full disclosure, there's been some problems with recent Subaru cars, 2011 and newer Forester and 2013 Subaru Outbacks, but, you're not looking at anything that new. My car is a 2010 and I'm very happy. Also, look at this website, http://www.carcomplaints.com

14,075

Aoliver- hey, thanks for marking my answers. You know, everyone wants the "best value", I like to refer to this as the best engineered dollar for what you get. I've had many American cars, even some German cars, and I would gladly consider another American car if I thought they would hold up as well as Asian cars. My last car was a 1995 Honda Accord, kept it for 19 years, purchased it brand new. Now, I purchased my Subaru Outback as a CPO vehicle when it was four years old. So far so good. Good luck.

10

The last website seems very useful to get an overall picture of what to be aware of. It's great! Thank you very much for your help. Time to do some motor hunting :)

14,075

You're welcome, yes, look at the recommended list of cars. Just remember that condition is the key element in a used car. It's more important than mileage.