Wheel and Tire sizing

Asked by Jan 08, 2016 at 02:46 PM

I should have paid more attention along the way, I'm sure of that, but here I
am at 70 still wondering about wheel and tire dimensions.

Specifically:  1946 Willys CJ2.  I'm in the mountains and need off-road
clearance.  Re-arched the springs and got 2" but up here there's never
enough.  Got hold of a set of 16X5.5 wheels and tires to lift me up some
more and noticed there isn't a 16" dimension anywhere to be found.  I put
my tape on the 15" wheels and they measure 15.5"  
What's with that anyway?
ccstelmo

85,895

The tire/wheel size is measured at the tire bead not the outside diameter of the wheels. For more lift you can look into bigger spring shackles or lifting blocks.

28,045

that is correct...just went to put a new 26 inch tire on my schwinn bike and it didint fit...schwinns tires are a 1/2 size larger...anyway you did mount the 16 tires to the rim/s ???

The 16" tires I have are mounted to (I suppose) 16" wheels. The 15" wheels also fit the Willys and (I think) would be stock. The 16's are probably 50 years old and the whole ball of wax will have to be dismounted and cleaned up before new tires are installed on them. I imagine tires like this are tube type and probably hard to find. I can hardly believe how tall they are!