High RPMs while transitioning between gears

Asked by Jan 06, 2016 at 08:58 AM

Hello, I recently bought a 2000 grand am Gt. I have
recently noticed that the car is having issues while
transitioning from 1-2 and 2-3 gears. Rpms will hit
3k i will let off the accelerator, hit it again and the
car will hit its gear. Also the longer i drive the
problem seems to go away.... Is this the
transmission?? What could be wrong?? Any
info/advice will be very appreciated. Thx in
advance!!

75,515

I am thinking you may have a vacuum leak at the intake manifold gaskets. You can check by spraying carburetor cleaner along the mating surface of the intake, if rpm picks up then there is a leak. Also check anywhere there is a vacuum source. There are three other things that can be check out, the Air Idle Control Sensor, the Mass Air Flow, and the Throttle Positioning Sensor. These items can be tested like at Auto Zone.

Best Answer Mark helpful

One of my friends who is more mechanically inclined than I am said it sounds like a vacum, another who said he experienced thw same issue said it was his mass air flow.. thank u for your advice.. i guess ill take it to mechanic to het these issues checked.. hopefully nothing to pricey (rebuilt tranny pricey)

75,515

Not really thinking it would be the trany, just doesn't shift normal with the high rpm's of the engine.

82,845

My Ford did something like that. It would rev up between gears and then engage with a bang. Turned out to be a bad O-ring after a recent rebuild. Eventually it lost all forward gears but no one could diagnose it properly beforehand.

No bangs, ticks or knocks.. for example i Just took it out for a spin and after ten mins it was shifting like a car should. Thx for the input tho, definitely something to consider..

82,845

Maybe you could try some Lucas transmission fix.