2005 Silverado

Asked by Jan 05, 2016 at 06:54 PM

Please help me decide? I am looking at a 2005
Chevy Silverado diesel pickup with 235000 miles
on it. How reliable will that be and would that be a
good purchase they're asking 16000?

69,895

I would not buy it if it has had ANY modifications to the engine or had a tuner installed. Diesels can run forever if cared for and not abused. Keep in mind that the rest of the truck has a quarter million miles on it and things like the transmission will be quite expensive to rebuild.

345

If that Diesel has not had regular oil changes with good quality Diesel oil (as specified on the oil filler cap), I would pass. Diesels need to be changed at the interval mentioned in the owners manual. Fuel filters as well. The oil gets dirtier quicker then a gas engine's will. The rest the last poster mentioned.

Thank you for your responses. After checking the car-fax it seams about every 10-15 thousand miles it was serviced. There were a few areas that the miles stacked up without a service and this happen when it changed dealerships. Also the transmission was serviced at 200,00 miles. I have about 3,000 in negative equity which will bring the loan up to 19,000. Would you make the purchase? One more thing is the engine has no modifications. I will post some photos.

Here is a look at the engine.

69,895

If the oil was only changed every 10-15k miles then hell no.

345

I agree with Full_of_Regrets. On a diesel the longest I would go on an oil change is 5000 miles. I would pass

I just found another one that the car-fax said the oil change happen ever 5-7K miles and the fuel filter change 2-3 times. This truck has 213,000K. What about that one?

345

I feel 7000 miles is too long of an interval on a diesel. The oil is black as coal by then....oil totally broken down. Is there a reason you need a diesel?